I’m embarrassed to admit, I don’t think I’ve EVER shown you our kitchen. I’ve got a feeling that’s probably because it wasn’t perfect. In fact, besides taking down the cabinet doors and adding a bit of paint, it hadn’t been touched since 1970!
(I forgot to mention …. we DID rip up the old linoleum flooring and…..of course, just painted the plywood underneath! Gosh, I wish I had a picture of that mustard colored floor though.
It was so 70’s chic!)
The counter tops, however, will live on forever thanks to the trusty iPhone:
SO. FAR. FROM. PERFECT.
But that’s the point…
I’m learning to let go of perfect and, instead, shoot for REAL!
We flip through pages of magazines, we see the perfect couch, the perfect lighting, the perfect floors, the perfect family who owns the perfect dog.
What we DON’T see sometimes is the GOOD stuff – the stuff that makes life worth living…the muddy paw prints, the stain on the sofa, that one spot that we missed while painting, the appliances that are older than we are. That’s what I’m learning is NORMAL and wonderful even. These are the things that make our home truly OURS!
So….when we decided to “freshen-up” our counter tops on a whim one night, I wanted them to be unique and imperfect, a reflection of us.
Concrete counter tops seemed like just the ticket! Inexpensive, full of character, and completely DIY!
I so admire my husband for jumping right in one night, excited about learning something new. The learning curve was steep and he had to think on the fly quite a few times. But the end result? Well, it was just stunning!
I’ll walk you through some of the steps and then show you where we ended up.
First, Michael brilliantly decided to use the old counter tops as frames to mold the new ones, so he popped them off and got to work:
This was the scary point. . .the point of no return.
And also the point where I realized we’d be without a stove and counters for a few days.
I just perfected the art of take-out one meal at a time.
Step 2 (This part you need amazing friends for!)
Mix and pour the concrete.
I’m sure there is MUCH more involved, but Michael would have to fill you in on the details.
That’s when the waiting game begins….
And all you can do is hope they turn out as beautiful as they are in your head 🙂
It seems like we had to let them dry forever, but in reality I think it was more like 2 full days.
Step 3 was LOTS and LOTS of sanding !
and then…. even MORE sanding.
That’s when they began to look like we had both envisioned.
They became even more beautiful with each coat of sealer Michael added.
AND FINALLY…they day arrived to put them in.
I couldn’t be happier!
Not because they’re perfect…they certainly have their share of scratches, cracks & dents;
but because they’re ours.
Old appliances, painted floors and all….we are blessed beyond measure!
And one more reason to smile….
The gardenias are starting to bloom outside our kitchen window.
So I thought I’d bring a hint of Spring inside on this rainy Sunday.